World War I Battlefields - Classic Group, 2021
World War I Battlefields – Classic Group, 2021
An emotive and poignant journey through the countryside of Northern France, dotted with war cemeteries and memorials for those who fell in ‘the war to end all wars.’
- Arras: Choose between visiting the Canadian National Memorial at Vimy Ridge and walk among the original trenches or alternatively, visit the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Experience, to commemorate the 1.7 million Commonwealth causalities from the World Wars.
- Somme Battlefields: Venture through the battlefields of the Somme, as your local historian explains how brave soldiers fought tirelessly for five months.
Top Rated Highlights
- Ypres: Tour the Ypres Salient Battlefields and hear the final salute to the fallen as the Last Post is sounded at the Menin Gate.
- Fromelles: See the Australian cemetery, commemorating one of the darkest days in Australian military history.
- Albert: Hear the legends of the Golden Virgin, and later Leaning Virgin statue atop the church.
- Beaumont-Hamel: Explore Beaumont-Hamel, once the site of one of the largest allied offensives of the war.
- Villers-Bretonneux: Visit the Franco-Australian Museum in the local Victoria School and learn how Australian soldiers saved this town.
- Le Hamel: Learn about the battle that lasted just 93 minutes, 3 minutes more than calculated by Lieutenant General John Monash.
- Peronne: Like many others, this town was almost completely destroyed during German occupation, and was finally liberated by Australian Troops in September 1918.
Included Insight Services
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight’s luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert’s fascinating commentary
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included – you’ll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency
- We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available)
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport
Ypres Battlefields and Lille
Fromelles and Vimy Ridge
The Battlefields of the Somme
Return to Paris